Our Not-So-Shabby Life

Our Not-So-Shabby Life

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spilling the Beans


We're having a baby.

Sometimes I still can't believe it. 

We are having a baby.

Randomly, I'll say that to myself.  Sometimes quietly.  Sometimes outloud.  And randomly I'll blurt it out to Kevin...as if he needs a reminder that there's a little bambino on the way.

It's exciting and surreal.

I'll never forget the day we found out the big news.  It was a Wednesday.  And for several weeks, it was just our little secret.

There was an occasion or two where I almost slipped up.  And well, as for Kevin, each time he was about to head out the door to meet the guys for a Saturday of golf, or for his usual Thursday night softball outings, I'd remind him..."whatever you do, don't spill the beans."

And from that point on, the little babe got nicknamed the bean.  And that name has pretty much stuck...at least for now.

Finally, after a couple of doctor's appointments, hearing the bean's heartbeat and seeing the little bambino on the sonogram, we finally did it.  We spilled the beans.

And oh my goodness.  Telling people you are pregnant is so fun and exciting.

Few were suspicious, but lots of others were completely caught off guard. Everyone's reactions and fun comments have been the best.  We feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family to share in this new chapter of our lives.

One of my favorite comments (from one of our friends who shall remain nameless/Strickley)...

"I'm at a bar.  I can't really hear you that well and this sounds like big news.  We need to talk about this tomorrow."

The bean is scheduled to make his/her appearance on November 27th, just shortly after Thanksgiving. And I have to admit, I'm pretty excited to have a baby that time of the year.  What better time to be off from work, snuggled up with a new little baby than the holidays?! 

And so this week marks week 13.  I really can't complain..too much.  The first 12 weeks have been relatively easy...with the exception of morning sickness which has decided to make his appearance in the evenings.  Needless to say, nothing ever sounds good for dinner and I've left most of the cooking up to my husband, because well, I just get nauseous. 

He's been a good sport.  No complaints there.   

Fruits, veggies and cereal seem to make the bean the happiest and well, he/she doesn't mind the occasional scoop of ice cream either. 

I've always liked fruit and veggies, but it seems the little bean has turned this fruit/veggie like into a full blown obsession. 

One Sunday night, not too long ago, I ate a whole seedless watermelon. 

A whole box of clementines in a matter of days. 

Entire cucumbers and whole green peppers for dinner.

But it can't go without saying, I miss my wine.  Something about watching Grey's or unwinding from a stressful day at the office, just isn't the same without a glass of wine.  But, I know it's totally worth it and it's only temporary.  After hearing the little bean's heartbeat, I'm completely smitten and would do absolutely anything to ensure he/she is healthy, even if it means giving up wine.  And sushi.  And deli meat.  And coffee.  And feta cheese.  And shark.  And swordfish... just kidding about those last two.  I mean if I ate shark or swordfish, I'd give them up, but I don't. 

It's amazing the things you can and can't do or can and can't eat while pregnant.

It truly is a whole new world.  Babies.  Baby stuff.  Baby gadgets.  Toys.  Accessories.  There's a long list.  We've got a lot to learn in the next 6 months, and I'm sure while November seems an eternity away, it will go fast.  I'm trying to enjoy every moment we have before the little bean comes, because, well, I have a feeling life as we know it will change just a bit ;)

We've already started/I've already begged to get started on the little bean's room.  And if I must say, it's coming along quite nicely...more on that later.  I'm starting to get impatient though and since we agreed we would find out whether the bean is a boy or a girl, I'm desperate to know.  Of course, I want to know, now.  Unfortunately, I've still got many weeks to go and patience, pregnancy or no pregnancy, is still not a strong suit for me. 

Officially I don't think the bump has made it's appearance yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.   And I'm not promising these "bump" shots will come religiously each week, but for the purposes of watching the bean grow, I'll do my best.  I feel quite silly, but I suppose some day I'll look back and be glad I documented the moment. 


Ready or not world, there is another Schamberger about to make his/her way.

We're having a baby!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, how sweet! I am so happy for the two of you. Babies are fun and they do change your life, but they are SO worth it. You're going to be a great mom :)

    ReplyDelete