Maybe it was because it was the second, that I felt more relaxed. More at ease. More confident in my mommy-skills. Something about this one though made nine months feel more like nine short days. One day we confirm we're having a sweet baby boy and then I blink, and we're driving through snow and ice to the hospital, holding hands, scared and excited, all over again.
February 5th, 2015. The day you were born. The day you blessed us and made us mommy and daddy all over again. It was a day I had waited for and been anxiously awaiting for weeks. Two days past our "official" due date, and to be honest I was growing impatient. Because I was a week early with your sister, I just new I wouldn't make it into the month of February still pregnant. Your daddy was convinced you'd be born on Super Bowl Sunday, just two days before our due date; after all, you are your daddy's son and football is your daddy's passion. But, you held out and proved both your daddy and me wrong. Much to my surprise, February 3rd came and went and still no baby.
We were scheduled to be induced on February 5th at 5:30AM. But you had other plans. On your own time and just as God had planned all along, we went into labor late into the evening on February 4th. I had spent the day home from work, with intentions of finishing up last minute errands and maybe even sneaking in a nap. However, your big sis had other plans of her own as she had come down with a cough and runny nose, and spent the day home with me as well. As luck would have it, we had already arranged for uncle Marcus and aunt Anna to come over and stay the night at our house with Olivia so we could leave for the hospital early the next morning. But just after 9:30PM, I started having regular and semi-painful contractions. Within an hour, after a hot shower and no relief from the contractions, we had loaded into the car the bags that had been packed and ready for several weeks. "It's finally time..." I nervously and excitedly remember whispering to Daddy as we drove to the hospital.
It felt like an eternity to get to the hospital, partly because it had snowed and iced earlier that day and partly because during labor, until the epidural, everything feels like it takes forever. Daddy had one hand tightly gripped on the wheel, and the other intertwined with mine, encouraging and supporting through each contraction.
We arrived at the hospital and the epidural was administered shortly before midnight. And then we waited. Daddy and I speculated what you might look like, hair color, eye color, personality, everything that would make you, you. We tried to rest our eyes, but it was impossible, we were about to meet you, our sweet baby boy.
My legs were shaking with adrenalin and excitement, nervousness and anticipation of what was to come. Three short hours later, the doctor was reminding me when and how to push. Three pushes, three pauses and three contractions later, in the wee hours of the morning on February 5th, you were born.
My legs were shaking with adrenalin and excitement, nervousness and anticipation of what was to come. Three short hours later, the doctor was reminding me when and how to push. Three pushes, three pauses and three contractions later, in the wee hours of the morning on February 5th, you were born.
You squealed and cried, and as my eyes met your daddy's, I could feel the tears stream down my cheeks. Mommy again.
And finally after nine months of waiting, the placed you on my chest. Those first few moments are precious and will never be forgotten, etched in memory forever. Those moments are difficult to put into words, they are magical and surreal, and some of the most cherished moments for all of life.
And finally after nine months of waiting, the placed you on my chest. Those first few moments are precious and will never be forgotten, etched in memory forever. Those moments are difficult to put into words, they are magical and surreal, and some of the most cherished moments for all of life.
I was a mommy to two. And you, my handsome little boy, made that possible. Daddy and I are so proud. Proud to call you ours. Blessed to be your mommy and daddy.
And just as your sister had done two years before you, you changed us again. You changed our world forever. Our hearts, which I was quite sure could not possible grow anymore, swelled again by leaps and bounds with love for you. You have blessed us beyond measure and we are so completely in love with you. Our precious, perfect and adorable Madden.
Madden Patrick Schamberger
February 5th, 2015
3:13am
7 pounds, 15 ounces
20-1/2 inches long
Shawnee Mission Hospital
And your big sister, she is absolutely smitten with you. Which is a whole other story for another time ...






No comments:
Post a Comment