
If I could bottle up your sweetness, your kindness and even your orneriness, I would (well, most of the orneriness). It's not just the big milestones, but the little things too - that no matter how hard I try to slow down life, they get smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror. I look back at pictures from just six or seven months ago when Madden was born, and cannot believe how much you've changed and grown. And I look back at when you were just six or seven months old and it feels like forever ago.
And so in an attempt to document and remember all of the things that make this age so fun, (one of my favorites, I might add), here are all of the things happening right now that make you, you. All of the things, I don't want to ever forget. And so, when you're sixteen, I will look back at this, your olivia-isms from when you were just "almost three" and laugh, and smile and remember, it's all about perspective.
You are guaranteed in the 95th+ percentile for height and weight. When people ask how old you are, they rarely believe you are "just two"... or "two-and a half" because you are so tall and slowly losing that baby fat because you are always on the go. Literally. I swear you run or speed walk, with a little bob in your step, everywhere. You are a girl on a mission.
Your favorite foods include spaghetti, milk, deli meat, carrots (with ranch), pizza, green beans, jello, chicken nuggets, yogurt with strawberries and crunchies (granola), fruit and cheese. Yes, hands down, cheese is your absolute favorite. String cheese, sliced cheese, shredded cheese, you're not partial to any one type and if you had it your way, would live on cheese alone.
You are quite the negotiator. For example, "Olivia, in 2 minutes we're going up to take a bath." To which you respond, "Mom, how about 5 minutes?" Or "Olivia, you can do one more puzzle before we eat dinner" to which you will respond "Mom, how about 2?" Or "Olivia, it's time to turn out the light for bed." to which you also respond "how about one more book." Whenever I say "one more time", you always respond with "two more times?"
You are also quite the problem solver, which goes hand-in-hand with your negotiation skills. And you know how to solve a problem and get what you want. Case in point. "Olivia, I'm going to change Madden's diaper and then I'll play with you." Instead, you suggest, "Mom, Daddy change Madden's diaper and you play now." Or if I give an order of which we'll do things, if you don't like the order of events, you're happy to suggest an alternate plan. And you always end the suggestion with "Ok, Mom? Ok." Or "It's a deal." Just the other night, as I was cooking dinner, you went to the pantry. You got out your stool and scoped out the snacks hidden on the second shelf. You then emerge from the pantry with a bag of M&M's. "Mom, me have M&M before dinner?" You asked me, to which I promptly responded with "If you eat your dinner, and make a happy plate, you can have an M&M after dinner." After a quick pause, you put your hand up and respond with "Here's the deal. Me have M&M before dinner, then make happy plate, then have M&M after dinner. Ok, Mom? Ok." Oh Geesh. But just for the record, despite your stellar attempt to negotiate over M&M's, Mom still won. #iammorestubbornthanyou
You are a typical two, going on three-year old. You have your share of meltdowns and tantrums. It seems though that this comes and goes in phases. We talk a lot about getting to do "big girl" things when you follow directions and act like a "big-girl". It is always amazing to me how much you actually comprehend. Days after we may have one of the talks about "big girls" following directions you'll remember what it was that we talked about and reference it back to me. And what we've found works the best when you get worked up about something not going your way, is to calmly ask you to take a deep breathe. And then once you calm down, you can usually be reasoned with or have your attention diverted to something else. But every once in awhile this tactic will backfire. Because when you can tell that I'm upset with you for not following directions, occasionally you'll tell me to take a deep breathe. #pointwelltaken
You are independent. You insist on doing lots of things by yourself. "Me do it" is a frequent phrase you use. You like to pick out your clothes the night before for the next day - including your shoes you are very particular about your shoes. You also like shirts with pockets and even after crossing over the potty-training hump almost 7 months ago, still get really excited about picking out your panties for the next day, and even more excited when you find out that you have a stack of clean laundry from what Mama has washed and dried. I suppose it's the little things.
You are Madden's biggest fan. You adore him and love him to pieces. Watching your friendship and relationship develop has been better than I could have ever imagined. You are also a big helper when it comes to helping me with Madden. Whether it's grabbing a diaper, handing me some wipes, or picking up Madden's toys that he has dropped, you are right there to help. Madden thinks you are the funniest, and you are always making him smile or giggle. He also repeats lots of sounds you make and your favorite game to play with him is "Madden say..." followed by various sounds, including dadadada, mamamama, gigigigi, papapapapa, and all the other names you know. Madden does his best to keep up and can usually get dadada and mamama but after those, he's just laughing with you. You also do your best to keep Madden away from your toys and out of your things. While you very much love and adore him, you're also brother and sister and your relationship wouldn't be complete without the "Mama, Madden is in my way. Madden is playing with my toys. Madden is talking too loud. Madden's toys are too loud." Ah, yes, the joys of having a little brother. Sister, it is only beginning.
You are so smart. I am amazed at how much you know. Letters, numbers to forty, colors and shapes, it's all in a day's work. You can spell your own name and are working on writing it. O-L-V-and the two I's are pretty legible, but the A can still use a little work. You know your Mama's name and your Daddy's name and although Schamberger is a mouthful, you know you're name is "O-liyia Shhhhambudder." And you live in Kansas City. And your birthday is in "Nobember", and you'll be three. You love to read, especially with Daddy at bedtime. You've memorized several books that Daddy has made routine - including the ABC Dr. Seuss book, Go Dog Go and Number Munch. For someone that was a late bloomer in the vocab department, you've really come so far. Phrases like "that's dangerous, Mama. Me do it, not Mama's" (referring to scaling up the stairs, two at a time.) And "that lady exercising, Mama?" (referring to anyone we see walking/running outside) And "decorations" (referring to the recent pumpkins and fall decor that is set out throughout the house, which is off-limits for touching and/or playing with). You'll also started to recognize what words start with what letters, I'm seriously amazed and impressed with you. I love that you ask lots of questions and are wanting to learn and take in everything around you.
You're favorite color, depending on the day, is pink or purple. And you're obsessed with Disney princesses and go back and forth between Anna/Elsa and Ariel as your favorites, and Minnie Mouse comes in a close third.
You are nurturing and compassionate. You like to take care of your babies, including baby Madden. You are also concerned about other people, if they are happy or sad and "what's wrong" if a baby or another child is upset. You often ask "Mama, you happy?" To which I respond, "Yes, I am happy." And then you prompt, "are you really, really, really, really happy". And as a matter of fact my dear Olivia, "yes, I am really happy". You make me smile and laugh and make me really happy. You are my sunshine and have made my life and my heart fuller and happier than I ever thought possible. So yes, I am "so, so, so, so, so happy" (as you often times put it).
It's the little things really that I'm afraid I'll forget. The way you put your hands on your hips when you're getting bossy or negotiating with me or Daddy. The way you lean up against the wall and cross your leg/knee over the other while you are waiting. The way you get so excited over the carwash, and insist, every Sunday after the grocery store, we clean Mama's car because it's "really, really, really dirty." The way you love Target and Target popcorn and look for any excuse to go...out of Kleenex, let's go to Target...out of soap, let's go to Target...out of baggies, let's go to Target. #likemotherlikedaughter. The way you get the giggles and can not stop laughing and giggling and how everything becomes so funny and how your giggle makes me laugh too. The way you are so determined (and sometimes stubborn) about finishing something and doing it right - especially when it comes to puzzles. The way you describe situations and repeat the same word to add lots of emphasis to the story... (so, so, so, so, happy; long, long, long, long, long ways; really, really, really, really fast). The way you get so excited to see Gigi and Papa and if you are still awake when they get here, you squeal with delight when you see them pull in the drive. The way you insist on giving Madden bedtime hugs and kisses and when he accidentally grabs your hair, you think he's attempting to give a hug and in the sweetest voice possible you say "don't grab my hair silly boy." The way you swing your arms when you walk, like a girl on a mission. The way you remember everything - even something I told you weeks ago, you never forget.
When you were just a baby, I bought you a book called "If I Could Keep You Little." It's about a little girl and how bittersweet it is that she is growing up and getting to experience all of these wonderful things. Luckily, you don't really like the book - because I can't really make it through the darn thing without choking up. But it's true. One one hand, I wish I could keep you little - my sweet little, almost 3 year old. But I know, that would keep you from growing into the beautiful, sweet person you are meant to be. And so, on days that are trying and hard, filled with whining and tantrums, making it difficult to enjoy the moment, I try to remember that life goes by so quickly and our babies grow up too fast - and really, it's all about perspective. I also try and take a dose of my own advice and take a deep breathe. And the advice from someone older and much wiser, I'm reminded, this stage is as easy as it's going to get. Don't forget that when she's five and then when she's fifteen. I'm sure I'll be wishing back for almost 3-year-old meltdowns.
Not a day goes by sweet girl that Daddy and I aren't amazed by your abilities, awed by your kindness and blessed to call you ours. Cheers to you and all of things about you that make you who you are. You are going to move mountains and change the world and we can't wait to watch it happen. But just remember, we are in no rush to get there. After all, life is really more about the ride than the destination.








No comments:
Post a Comment